How to get there -
At junction 18 of the M6, take the A54 exit to Northwich/Chester/Middlewich/Holmes Chapel (0.3 mi) At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Middlewich Rd/A54 heading to Middlewich/Chester. Continue to follow A54. Go through 1 roundabout.(2.9 mi) Turn right at Newton Bank/A54. Continue to follow A54. Go through 1 roundabout (3.1 mi).8. Turn left into car park.
You will need to leave a car at or arrange a pick-up from Northwich Rowing Club, The Crescent, Northwich, CW9 8AE
Get a map with driving directions to start
(enter the postcode of your starting point at A)
Suggested Launch Site -
Park in the car park at the north end of Winsford Flash. Launch via the slipway.
1. Access the start of the Trail at the Northern end of the flash (car parking available). Access to toilets may be available when the Activity Centre is open.
2. Trail heads off to the right (downstream). There is restricted access to the left (upstream), however, you are advised to keep to the right.
3. Heading downstream you quickly progress under Town Bridge, (the upper limit of the British Waterways navigation), and past the salt mine to your left. Travel through open country for approx. 3km until reaching New Bridge. This is a good lunch spot or alternative parking place to access the Trail.
4. To exit here, use the pontoon before the bridge or alternatively pass under the bridge and use the pontoon on the left bank. Consideration should be given to anglers.
5. 1km downstream, follow the navigation to the Vale Royal lock. Exit at the pontoon on the right bank. Follow the path for 300m passing the lock keepers cottage. Below the lock, access the river at the pontoon.
6. Continue downstream passing under Hartford Bridge (Blue Bridge). A further 2km down stream you will reach Hunts Lock.
7. Here the river splits. To exit the river:
a. (On completion of the Riversdale Bridge late Autumn 2010) Exit the river at the Rowing Club on the right bank of the right channel. If the Club is open they may allow access to toilets. To portage, continue down the path to the new swing bridge. Cross the bridge and follow the path. Once you reach the lock, head right, down the grass bank and access the river via the pontoon. This may be narrow. Please be considerate of other river users.
b. (Until completion of the Riversdale Bridge temporary access has been agreed) Head to the lock gate in the left channel and exit on the left bank close to the lock. Walk down the path to the trees. Here you will be able to access the river via steps to your right.
Grade - Moderate
Distance - 8.25 km/5.1 miles
Time - Allow 1 to 2 hours